Skip to main content.
Friday, December 7th, 2007

Killed Plugin

I got a report of extremely slow load times for my blog, something to do with scripting, that locked up the browser. At first I thought it was Internet Explorer, but when I checked it myself, it was even worse on SeaMonkey (the latest in the Netscape Navigator – Mozilla evolution, and my preferred browser.) Even though I was wrong about the browser, I was right about the culprit – my Inline Google Maps v2.1 plugin. I’ve noticed problems with it before.

When it came out, IGM was a spiffy tool that allowed you pull a customized map from Google and include it on your web page. You had to use your own Google Maps API key, but I already had one of those because I had been thinking of trying to write something along the same lines. But I guess lots of people had that idea, and Google noticed the traffic; so they wrote their own solution. (Or they just had the same idea, I don’t know.) Now, when you click on the “Link to this page” option in Google Maps, instead of just getting the url with the form data set, you also are presented with preconfigured HTML code that you can just cut and paste onto your site.

I doubt it was the IGM plugin’s fault – after all, it worked fine before – so the Google Maps API must have changed. Maybe they did it to deliberately screw with all those other guys’ solutions. My only option was to shut down the plugin, and now I’ll have to go back through previous posts, use the existing url that had all the map settings in it, go to Google Maps, and get new HTML code to overwrite what I had before. What a pain in the butt.

But I do love my little maps.

Posted by Greg in My Website

1 Comment »

This entry was posted on Friday, December 7th, 2007 at 11:57 PST and is filed under My Website. You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments RSS 2.0 feed. Both comments and pings are currently closed.

One Response to “Killed Plugin”

  1. Mike says:

    Hey Greg,

    you might try the new version of IGM, which should fix the problem for you.

    It’s available here:
    http://macdiggs.com/index.php/2007/12/07/inline-google-maps-fix-version-211/

    Hit me as hard as you. I was using the same code on other non-WordPress based sites and they all blacked-out at once. Bah.

    And sorry about the problem. There was a small bug in my code as well, which went “live” after being mixed with Google’s API chage (or something they did..)

    Mike.