Skip to main content.
Wednesday, August 3rd, 2005

Busted!

I couldn’t figure out why my parse_google function wasn’t working (which is the root code of my GFame plugin) and went back a few steps and put in some debugging code to see exactly what Google was returning when I called file_get_contents. And this is it:


G
 Error  

We’re sorry…

… but we can’t process your request right now. A computer virus or spyware application is sending us automated requests, and it appears that your computer or network has been infected.

We’ll restore your access as quickly as possible, so try again soon. In the meantime, you might want to run a virus checker or spyware remover to make sure that your computer is free of viruses and other spurious software.

We apologize for the inconvenience, and hope we’ll see you again on Google.


So I did some checking and found the Google Terms of Service, which specifically prohibit what my GFame plugin was trying to do. The only authorized automated requests are through the Google API, which is what I started with, but rejected because the results came out so differently than what you get if you type the same terms into a regular Google interface. I suppose I might have read something about this when I first started playing with the API, but forgot it by the time I decided to try parsing the search results instead. I was never intentionally trying to violate the TOS.

So I guess my little project is going to die. Bummer. I was learning a lot. I’ll have to come up with a new one.

Posted by Greg in My Website, Programming

Comments Off on Busted!

This entry was posted on Wednesday, August 3rd, 2005 at 15:05 PST and is filed under My Website, Programming. You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments RSS 2.0 feed. Both comments and pings are currently closed.

Comments are closed.